10 Simple Tips That Will Make Your Hair Grow Faster
How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster
It can be frustrating to wait endlessly for your hair to grow. The internet is full of suggestions for speeding up the growth, but we think the easiest place to start is -- a few simple adjustments could make a real difference. Once you've got the nutrition part under control, we've also assembled the best and most effective and .
Changing Your Diet
Include protein in your daily diet.Your hair and nails are primarily made up of a protein called keratin.Hair growth has three phases: anagen (when hair is growing), catagen (when growth starts to shut down), and telogen (when growth stops and/or the hair falls out).Hair that is lacking protein goes into resting stage faster than hair rich in protein.
- Chicken, eggs, and Greek yogurt are great sources of protein.
- Your protein needs can vary based on your weight and lifestyle. Most people need between 45 to 55 grams (1.6 to 1.9 oz) of protein per day.
Increase your iron and zinc intake.Minerals like iron and zinc are crucial to the production of proteins that make up the hair on your body. Low iron is known to cause hair loss.
- You can get iron and zinc naturally in foods like spinach, beans, and seafood.
- The amount of iron and zinc you need to intake daily depends on your age, sex, and lifestyle. Talk to your doctor before making any changes to your daily mineral intake.
Eat vitamin rich foods.Vitamin D is thought to be crucial to hair growth. Vitamin C is also important for iron absorption. Vitamin C is common in citrus fruits, such as oranges, grapefruit, and limes. You can get Vitamin D from the sun and food sources like fortified milk and fortified orange juice.
- Talk to your doctor before making any changes to your daily vitamin intake.
Increase your intake of biotin and other B vitamins.Biotin and other B vitamins can help to promote healthy hair, so makes sure to include these in your diet. You can ensure that you are getting enough of these vitamins by taking a daily multivitamin. You can also eat foods that are rich in these vitamins.
- Eggs, cheese, mushrooms, almonds, and cauliflower are all good sources of biotin.
- B vitamins are present in fish, meat, eggs, dairy, leafy greens, peas, and beans. Also, look for foods that have been enriched with B vitamins, such as cereals and breads.
Focus on good fats.Omega-3 fatty acids are needed for hair growth. They also keep your hair looking shiny and healthy. Your body does not produce this fat naturally.
- You can get Omega-3 fatty acids from fish. The American Heart Association recommends that an adult eats two servings of fish each week to get the appropriate amount of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- If you are a vegan or vegetarian, then make sure to take a DHA supplement.
- You can also get Omega-3 Fatty acids from flaxseed oil. One teaspoon a day is all you need for adults. Talk to your doctor for younger children.
Modifying Your Lifestyle
Get your hair trimmed.It might sound counter-intuitive but getting your hair trimmed will help your hair from breaking off and this will result in your hair growing faster. With time, the strands of hair will begin to split at the ends. These split ends tangle and are more likely to be pulled out when brushed. Keeping your hair trimmed will minimize split ends.
Use a silk pillowcase.Your hair can catch on the threads of a cotton pillowcase. A silk pillowcase reduces this friction, thus reducing breakage.
- Wrapping your head in a silk scarf could be used as an alternative to a silk pillowcase.
Avoid wrapping your hair in a towel.Wrapping your hair in a towel on top of your head after a shower can also cause breakage. Instead, gently squeeze or blot excess water out of your hair.
- You may also consider using a microfiber towel to wrap your hair since these are gentler than regular cotton towels.
Caring for Your Hair
Avoid shampooing every day.Unless your hair is really oily, shampooing your hair daily can dry out and damage your hair. Washing your hair every other day allows your body’s natural oils to condition your hair.
Use conditioner.When you do shampoo your hair, be sure to condition it. Hair conditioner helps to replenish the oils that have been stripped your hair during shampooing. Make sure that you completely wash the shampoo out of your hair before conditioning.
Rinse your hair with cool water.After you rinse the shampoo and conditioner out of your hair, briefly rinse out your clean hair under cool water. Cool water ensures that the hair follicle is tight. This reduces the amount of hair that is lost after a shower.
Minimize heat and color.Using heat or hair color on your hair damages the hair over time. Try to reduce the amount of heat that you use on your hair by letting your hair air dry when possible. Use sponge or velcro rollers instead of hot rollers. Stretch out the amount of time between coloring and use color safe shampoo to minimize hair dying damage.
Brush your hair carefully.Use a wide tooth comb to gently detangle your hair. Work the comb through the ends of your hair and move your way up to the scalp. Tugging too hard on the hair to brush out tangles will result in hair loss.
Wear a ponytail correctly.Pulling your hair too tight into a ponytail on top of your head can result in breakage. Instead, wear your hair down or in a loose ponytail. Avoid using rubber hairbands. Change up the position of your ponytail so that your hair doesn’t get too brittle in one area.
Massage your scalp.Performing a daily scalp massage on yourself may help to stimulate blood flow to your hair follicles and promote hair growth.Include a daily scalp massage in your hair care routine.
QuestionWhat foods should I include in my diet to make my hair grow faster?
Registered NurseRegistered NurseExpert AnswerA nutrient rich, whole food, diet is the best option. Eating plenty of veggies, protein, and oils is beneficial for your skin and hair! Include biotin-rich foods: eggs, almonds, cauliflower, cheeses, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, and spinach. Also, include other B-complex foods: You can get B vitamins from proteins such as fish, poultry, meat, eggs, and dairy products. Leafy green vegetables, beans, and peas also have B vitamins. Many cereals and some breads have added B vitamins.Thanks!
QuestionDo you have to use cold water after washing your hair, even if the weather is cold?
Registered NurseRegistered NurseExpert AnswerEven using cool water will help to flatten the hair cuticle. Warm or hot water will keep the hair cuticle open and the hair may look frizzy and not as shiny. This is true even during the winter.Thanks!
QuestionDoes applying coconut oil help with hair growth?Community AnswerYes! Coconut oil works wonders on your hair. Apply it once or twice a week, and your hair will turn shiny, strong, and long.Thanks!
QuestionIs there any homemade hair masks that I can make to provoke hair growth?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry mixing honey + onion juice + lemon. Massage this formula on your scalp twice a week, and you will see wonders in a few days. This will resolve dandruff, give a fuller look, shine, and deep conditioning.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I get soft and straight hair naturally?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThanks!
QuestionHow fast does hair grow?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYour hair growth mostly depends on genetics, but there are things you can do to help it grow faster. Search "hot oil treatment" on YouTube. Use oils on your scalp. Also, this is weird, but horse hair shampoo and conditioner are supposed to make your hair grow faster as well.Thanks!
QuestionWill dyeing my hair make it grow slower?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, dye cuts off the oxygen supply to your hair, thinning it out. If you must dye, try substituting ammonia-free hair dye for bleach.Thanks!
QuestionWill permed hair grow?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerPerming your hair regularly can damage your hair. However, getting a perm on occasion will not prevent your hair from growing.Thanks!
QuestionDoes drying your hair with a hairdryer every 3 days prevent growth?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEvery 3 days is reasonable, especially if you use a heat protection product in your hair before you blow-dry. It will not prevent growth.Thanks!
QuestionDoes eating food like beans and such affect my hair growth?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes, beans are rich in many nutrients that are key to growing long, healthy hair.Thanks!
How many times in a week or month is important to wash my hair?
- Take care of your body and eat a balanced diet in order to have long, healthy hair.
- Use a heat protectant product before applying heat to your hair.
- Massaging your scalp for 5-6 minutes at a time can help promote good health and growth.
- Using an egg mix with some natural olive oil mixed in can help support hair growth.
- Using an olive oil mix alone can help support hair growth.
- Treat your hair everyday and make sure to use oil and hair pack.
- Cover your hair in coconut oil and keep it in for a minimum of 30 minutes and a maximum of overnight. Rub shampoo through hair before adding water. Then wash normally. If this step isn’t followed the coconut oil won’t come out of your hair and it’ll look greasy.
- Talk to your doctor before making serious changes to your diet. Also, make sure to see your doctor if making changes to your diet and lifestyle do not help. If you are losing hair and you are not sure why, then your doctor can run tests to check for underlying conditions that may be to blame.
- Applying heat, dyes, and product can damage your hair over time.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Deutsch: , Nederlands: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Čeština: , العربية: , Tiếng Việt: , 한국어: , 日本語: , हिन्दी: , Português: , Français: , ไทย: , Español: , Italiano: , 中文: , Türkçe:
of How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster was reviewed by on October 6, 2019.
Feb 16, 2019
Oct 18, 2019
Aug 2, 2019
Aug 15, 2019
Dec 3, 2019
Apr 10, 2019
Apr 25, 2019
Jul 22, 2019
May 18, 2019
Dec 10, 2019
Sep 21, 2019
Apr 29, 2019
May 30, 2019
Aug 10, 2019
Jul 2, 2019
Jun 5, 2019
Oct 13, 2019
May 23, 2019
Dec 29, 2019
Jun 16, 2019
Jun 16, 2019
Jul 30, 2019
Albert Appiah Yeboah
Apr 19, 2019
Jun 9, 2019
Dec 16, 2019
Jun 22, 2019
Video: How To Grow Your Hair Long FAST! Grow Your Hair in a WEEK! 2018
How to Ride a Scooter
Fashion News: Marc Jacobs, Missoni More
Spencer Hart x Austin Reed Clothing
The best books to read this summer from bestsellers to romance epics
How to Express Sympathy
How to Get OSHA Certified
Meet The 4 LA Girls That Have Got The Music Industry (And Us) Very Excited
How to contour like a professional make-up artist
Anne Hathaway almost wasn’t in The Devil Wears Prada
What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Fad Diets
The Bottom Line On Eggs
Which vitamin is the least essential
Slow-Cooker Monday: Overnight Steel-Cut Oats
10 Diabetes Diet FAQs With a Nutritionist